28 September 2012

Travelogue Diaries : Entry No. 01 - Mexico


In 2003 I was really fed up with my day job. I was working at City Search ( sister company for Ticket Master) and I sat behind a desk all day long. You wouldn't believe it from my spelling mistakes and terrible grammer - but I was a proof reader for the company. I approved or disproved anything going live on the websites. A simple - but boring job. So - I quit. Giving up the free concert tickets was sad but I don't regret this step in my life. This would be the start of me rebelling against normal days jobs and living in one spot for very long. So the problem was - how to support myself? The solution - become a nanny!

I won't bore you with all the details since this is going back in time - and it's way to long of a story to write about - but I became a nanny. A traveling nanny! I was lucky enough to find a nanny job that required me to travel with the family. Amazing right? They took me to Mexico in 2003 - and paid me for it!

This was a monumental year for me. I discovered many things about myself - first that I loved the camera. Second - that I had to travel as much as possible for the rest of my life. As for taking photographs - I didn't really think anything about it. I just knew that it was fun and people kept complimenting me. This encouraged me to photograph more and more.

So I did.
Sadly I don't have any amazing photographs from that trip. I lost most of them due to being lazy about saving these photos. I do have a couple - they are small and the resolution is terrible. I had a really crappy camera back than. Here is what I can show you from that trip: 






As you can see - not very many or very impressive. My favorite subject to photograph was the little girl I was in charge of watching. I didn't of course know it than - but this is where my love for children photography started. She was more interesting to me than the pyramids in the Yucatan. 
The Yucatan area is beautiful. I fell in love with the people, and the energy that I felt in the small villages. It was a relaxed way of living. Many young couples ran around hiding in the shadows to steal kisses form each other. 

The one place I did not love - Mexico City. It was loud, crowded, dirty, and I couldn't breathe. We stayed there for several days and I was so claustrophobic and nervous the entire time. I don't believe I will ever go back there. 

So there you have it. My first - really old - entry. I promise they will get better. 

X Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment